There are many causes of a cough in children, including:
- viral and bacterial infections
- irritations, like cold air, smoke, pollution or an inhaled foreign body
- allergies and asthma
- other reasons, for example, a habit cough.
By far the most common cause of coughing is a viral respiratory tract infection, when the cough usually happens as part of a cold. Young children can have up to 6 to 12 respiratory tract infections per year, usually caused by viruses.1
A cough protects your child’s body by removing mucus, irritating substances and infections from his or her respiratory tract.
Children’s cough is often worse at night, when the child is lying in bed because the mucus can collect in the back of the throat.
If your child has a cough that lasts more than two weeks, schedule a visit with your healthcare professional.
COUGH LIQUIDS FOR CHILDREN 2 YEARS +
It is important to look for cough liquids containing natural ingredients to treat children.
DURO-TUSS Children’s Cough Liquid contains a natural active ingredient to help soothe and relieve coughs and chest congestion.
- Hedera Helix (Ivy Leaf Extract) – is an expectorant which thins and loosens mucus to help relieve chest congestion in children 6 months+
DURO-TUSS Children’s Cough Liquid:
- Soothes and relieves coughs and chest congestion
- Suitable for adults and children over 2 years
- Available in two great tasting flavours that kids will love:
OTHER TIPS TO TREAT YOUR CHILDREN’S COUGH
- Maintain fluid intake
- Ensure they get enough sleep
- Steam vaporisers or inhalations increase the air’s humidity which may also help to loosen the mucus in the airways.
- In children over one year, one to two teaspoons of honey taken 30 minutes prior to bedtime may be helpful.
- Saline sprays can also clear nasal congestion
- Monitor condition and if you are unsure about the symptoms, see a healthcare professional.
1. http://www.rch.org.au/kidsinfo/fact_sheets/Cough/ accessed 01/02/2017